The activities in the lesson plan focus on foodborne pathogens and illnesses. Each activity also includes an educator’s guide providing step-by-step instructions and resources.
This Lesson Features:
- Lesson Outcomes & Overview
- Initial Discussion Questions
- Creating a Foodborne Illness Reference Sheet Activity
- Explore Module Walkthrough
- Tales from the Gala: Foodborne Illness Outbreak Investigation Activity with Guided Investigation Worksheets & Answer Keys
- Diagnose Module Walkthrough
GIDEON Module Highlighted in the Lesson:
This lesson plan uses GIDEON’s Explore Module to provide information on infectious diseases and their outbreaks. This information includes the history of the disease, clinical information, and epidemiological data. This module provides a comprehensive overview of each disease, which is beneficial for teaching about disease spread and its effects.
GIDEON’s Diagnose Module is also used in this lesson plan. This module allows students to confirm their proposed foodborne pathogen responsible for the outbreak. The Diagnose Module provides a Bayesian Analysis-based differential diagnosis by having students submit relevant symptoms and outbreak information.