GIDEON what’s new summary: March 1 to March 4, 2014
- 7 Diseases
- 99 Diseases
- 209 Country notes
- 2 Interacting drugs – New
- 1 Drug interactions – New
- 1 Bacteria
Rates of listeriosis have been increasing in Scandinavia for over 20 years, and are currrently 2- to 5-fold those reported in the United States – see graph (black arrow = United States) [1-3]
1. Berger SA. Infectious Diseases of Sweden, 2014. 484 pages, 137 graphs, 2,231 references Gideon e-books, http://www.gideononline.com/ebooks/country/infectious-diseases-of-sweden/
2. Berger SA. Listeriosis: Global Status, 2014. 101 pages, 105 graphs, 746 references. Gideon e-books, http://www.gideononline.com/ebooks/disease/listeriosis-global-status/
3. Gideon graph tool – http://www.gideononline.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/Gideon-Graphs.pps
Note featured on ProMED
The 2014 GIDEON ebook series has been released.
This edition incorporates all content added since publication of the last series. Country-series eBooks now include the vaccination schedules for every reporting country as an extra chapter.
Additionally, four new volumes have been added to the series.
Titles now include:
Country series (231 volumes)
Disease series (188 volumes)
GIDEON Guide to Antimicrobial Agents
GIDEON Guide to Vaccines
GIDEON Guide to Medically Important Bacteria
GIDEON Guide to Medically Important Yeasts
The four newer titles incorporate content from GIDEON’s Drugs, Vaccines, Bacteria, Mycobacteria and Yeasts modules. These and all other eBooks in the series are updated annually
Notwithstanding recent outbreaks among men-who-have-sex-with-men, the incidence of shigellosis in Australia has remained remarkably constant for over eighty years. In the following graph I’ve contrasted disease rates in Australia and New Zealand with those reported in the United States. [1-3]
In fact, most other forms of bacterial diarrhea have become far more common than shigellosis in Australia – see graph:
1. Berger SA. Infectious Diseases of Australia, 2014. 575 pages, 163 graphs, 3,658 references. Gideon e-books, http://www.gideononline.com/ebooks/country/infectious-diseases-of-australia/
2. Berger SA. Shigellosis: Global Status, 2014.
162 pages, 199 graphs, 1,076 references. Gideon e-books, http://www.gideononline.com/ebooks/disease/shigellosis-global-status/
3. Gideon graph tool – http://cdn.gideononline.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/Gideon-Graphs.pps